Pages

Thursday, 18 April 2013

Storm Thorgerson

It’s not often that I recognise the names of famous people who have died, in the news, let alone graphic designers. Let alone one of my favourite graphic designers. And so the news of Storm Thorgerson’s death today has really saddened me. I thought it was only right to take the time and post a little blog about him.

Biffy Clyro – Opposites

I went to an excellent exhibition of Thorgerson’s work three years ago at Idea Generation in London (which upon Googling now has apparently ceased to exist). Here’s the blog I posted about the exhibition at the time, although the pictures are broken – probably due to me linking to the non-existant Idea Generation website. However, there is still an exhibition gallery on Flickr.

Thorgerson was the man behind hundreds of amazing album covers, including some of my favourites. As I seem to have found myself designing album covers myself in the last year or so, I can appreciate even more what an inspiring graphic designer he was. Although I can never hope to achieve anything as awesome as he did.

Muse – Absolution
Pink Floyd – The Division Bell
Pink Floyd – The Tree of Half Life
Peter Gabriel – Scratch
Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon

Read today’s article about Storm Thorgerson on the BBC News website.

No comments:

Post a Comment