Pages

Friday, 31 May 2013

Maps of fictional places

I like maps as it is – of real places – but maps of lands found in works of fiction are all the more fascinating. The maps in the Song of Ice and Fire books certainly help to visualise where the characters are – as they’re always spread far and wide across Westeros. I guess that’s something the makers of the TV show (that’s Game of Thrones, if you didn’t know) thought important too as they based the whole title sequence around the map!

A couple of days ago I finished reading Fool’s Fate by Robin Hobb, the final book of a fantasy trilogy which in itself is a follow on from another trilogy – basically what I’m saying is, really it was the sixth book in a series. The books are set in lands called the Six Duchies, I found a map then looked up some other fictional realms…

The Six Duchies from the Farseer series
Westeros (A Song of Ice and Fire) has to be split into north and south it’s so big.
Finally, Middle Earth of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

I actually own a book of Middle Earth maps. It contains hundreds of places I’ve never even heard of, probably due to not having read The Silmarillion. Maybe I will read it one day…

No comments:

Post a Comment