Pages

Tuesday, 9 July 2013

THE

This week, I’m in charge of the emc design Twitter account  – as Sophie, who usually handles all the social media things, is on holiday. I haven’t tweeted too much so far but one thing that I re-tweeted yesterday on both the emc account and my own Twitter, is this…


The word “the” is the most commonly-used word of the English language; it makes an appearance in around 80% of all written paragraphs. To recognize its usage and usefulness, Melbourne-based Australian restaurateur Paul Mathis has created a new symbol as a short-formed substitute for “the”. Design Taxi

So, it’s about time it had it’s own symbol right? I mean, ‘and’ has one – &. It makes sense, doesn’t it? But I’m told (by the internet) that this symbol already exists in other languages, and Design Taxi says Mathis has invested thousands of dollars in this.

It’s certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as the ampersand (&). The video showcasing ‘THE’ seems like an April Fools joke, and I’m sorry Americans but saying theeeee just makes it sound like it needs the e!

No comments:

Post a Comment