Pages

Thursday, 11 July 2013

Why is the sea so far away?


The weather in Britain is wonderful at the moment. Sunshine makes me and everyone around me happy. But I am missing the sea/seaside terribly. Although, admittedly it’s only been just over a month since I was by the sea (North Devon)…
When you go from three years living walking distance from the beach and the harbour back to the middle of England, it really is quite rubbish. Don’t get me wrong, I love the countryside – working in the beautiful Bedfordshire countryside is really great – and I love woods – I love trees, of course I would [wood]. But there’s just something about the sea. The smell, the sound, the feel…


I’ve been trying to work out where the nearest coast/beach to Milton Keynes is. I always assumed it was Hunstanton in Norfolk, but if you take into account the time it takes to get there and types of roads it might be easier to go somewhere south. Either way, it’s nearly 100 miles – by road, rather than as the crow flies.

That’s pretty far from the sea but by no means the furthest place in Britain from the coast. After a little Googling, BBC News tells me that in 2003 the village of Coton in the Elms, Derbyshire, was confirmed the furthest point in Britain from the sea. Although this discussion mentions Aylesbury, Tring and Leicester among other places. All of which, the first two especially, are pretty close to Milton Keynes.

I might run away to the seaside, any seaside, this weekend. But if I don’t, I’m going to Brighton the weekend after so I should survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment