Pages

Saturday, 7 September 2013

Milton Keynes streets

It’s no secret that I’m not particularly fond of my hometown, but since moving back here after university I have learnt to appreciate it for what good things it does have. Even if it is mostly roundabouts, a shopping centre and concrete [cows]. It does have some history, in places like Newport Pagnell, Stony Stratford, Bletchley Park(!) and even closer to home in Bradwell – history being the kind of thing I tend to like in a town. Plus I can’t really complain about the amount of trees and generally green spaces. Willen Lake is one of my favourite places, dare I say, in the world? (To be fair, I haven’t seen much of the world – that will soon change.)

I own this postcard. But my scanner is rubbish.

A (worryingly) recent discovery for me is that all of the streets in Milton Keynes – at least the ones that were built in the last 30 years – are named with a specific theme. You see, Milton Keynes is divided into many different estates, each estate then comprises of streets (like any other town). But each estate has it’s own street naming theme from flowers to musicians and British woodlands to American states.

You may wonder why I had never realised the streets were named in this way before. To be honest, I had noticed that some streets seemed to have similar meanings to others nearby but I hadn’t given it much thought and I’m sure most of the people of Milton Keynes haven’t got a clue either. I certainly hadn’t noticed it in all of the estates, nor even the one I live in.

Some examples:
Bancroft Roman Britain: Hadrians Drive, Stonegate, Caesars Close
Crownhill Music business: Presley Way, Hendrix Drive, Lennon Drive
Eaglestone Birds of prey: Peregrine Close, Harrier Drive, Osprey Close
Fishermead Cornish villages(!): Kernow Crescent, Helford Place, Penryn Avenue
Furzton Moorlands: Lynmouth Crescent, Dulverton Drive, Bickleigh Crescent
Monkston London tube stations: Maida Vale, Finsbury Chase, Waltham Drive
Walnut Tree Flowers and shrubs: Lavender Grove, Parsley Close, Cranberry Close

The full list of estates and their themes can be found here in this wonderful Milton Keynes Council document – scroll down to page 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment