Pages

Thursday, 13 February 2014

FML666

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing my favourite skinny half-arsed English country singer Frank Turner for the tenth time at the O2 Arena in London. Tenth and probably the best yet! But this blog post is not about Frank – there’s a good review by someone else and some photos here – excellent as it was. This is a post about a music video.

In between acts (the great Beans on Toast and awesome Flogging Molly supported) there was a showreel of sorts for Xtra Mile playing on two large screens – but without sound. Xtra Mile being the record label that Frank Turner is signed to as well as other favourites of mine; Crazy Arm, Jim Lockey & the Solemn Sun, Dave Hause and Against Me!

It was the Against Me! video for FML666 that caught my eye and hooked me almost instantly. Even without being able to hear the actual song! Why? Because the lyrics were spelt out throughout the song – and I not in a conventional way – interacting with the story being told. Anyway it meant I could play the song in my head instead, by reading the lyrics.


While I’m talking about Against Me! I should point you in the direction of this review of Transgender Dysphoria Blues, their latest album. The reviewer, a punk rock pal of mine, listened to this album after my persistent recommendation. Plus, they summed up all my thoughts and feeling far better than I ever could – the album is f•••ing great. I can’t wait to see the band live later this year. Incidentally, the only time I’ve seen AM! is when they supported Frank Turner at Hammersmith Apollo a couple of years ago…

No comments:

Post a Comment