Pages

Sunday, 23 March 2014

Beginnings of the 7 Wonders of Milton Keynes

I am working on a personal design/writing project that I am referring to as the 7 Wonders of Milton Keynes – the title being the result of a conversation on Twitter with a fellow Milton Keynsian (that’s a thing, alright?). I am only in the initial stages currently – I haven’t done any design yet, but I have been researching and writing.

Basically, I haven’t always been the biggest appreciator of my hometown, particularly when I was living in Falmouth. But when you live in Cornwall, it’s hard to appreciate anywhere half as much! However, I have learnt to like and maybe even love certain things about Milton Keynes and I think I’m proud to call it my hometown… at least I will be when I finish this project.

It’s one thing when I bad-mouth Milton Keynes a little bit, I have lived here almost all of my life, but it is quite different when those that have barely ever been to this town do it. So, I want to prove that Milton Keynes isn’t lacking in good bits by highlighting what I feel are the 7 Wonders of Milton Keynes:
  1. The Concrete Cows
  2. The Peace Pagoda at Willen Lake
  3. MK Rose at Campbell Park
  4. The grid system & roundabouts
  5. Redways
  6. Trees, trees and more trees…
  7. Culture!
I didn’t compile the list entirely by myself though. I asked around on Twitter and got a lot of positive feedback regarding everyone’s favourite places in Milton Keynes. Not everything made the 7 – ultimately it is my project, but a lot of people had the same ideas as me. Thanks especially to those that suggested MK Rose and the redway system!

I currently have a first draft of the text, which is about 250–300 words for each of the 7 – except I got a bit carried away by the time I got to ‘Culture!’ and it’s more like 500. I had originally intended for this to be a poster project but I’m now thinking I want to design a book[let], as well, with several pages of photographs for each of the 7, plus an introduction to the whole project. Whether I’d actually be able to get any copies printed is another matter, but that’s why Issuu exists.

Something I also need is photographs! I have some photos already that might be suitable for some of the 7 (so, so many trees), plus I’d like to go out and take some more. But it would be really great if you have any photographs that you think would fit with the 7 Wonders of Milton Keynes (listed above), for you to submit them to me. Of course I will give complete credit and can link to any websites or Flickr accounts when I post the end result on my blog/website. And probably within the booklet as well as it’s likely to be viewed digitally.

If you think you can help and have any photos you’d like to be a part of this project, please send me a link or a low-res version of the image to: hello@emmaprew.co.uk
If I think your photos are suitable I will request a higher resolution version.

You can also talk to me on Twitter about this project if you like. :)

THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. not really wonders - most of them are eye sores! :/ Ex MK resident here haha! Nice blog though. You moved from the beautiful Cornwall to MK! WHY? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Well it's opinions like that that I want to change. If you think the peace pagoda is an eye sore then you need your eyes testing! And the others I will explain why they are ‘wonders’ in the finalised project. In text and images. I admit Milton Keynes shopping centre and Xscape aren't pretty but I'm not mentioning them. There's a hell of a lot more to MK than that. As for why I left Cornwall, I went to uni there but it's not easy to be a graphic designer there so I didn't hang around. I still adore Cornwall but Milton Keynes is my hometown and I'm not ashamed of that.

      Delete