Pages

Thursday, 13 March 2014

Four weeks til Bento-land

In exactly four weeks time I will be panicking that I’ve forgotten to pack something important or not done enough planning or I don’t know any enough Japanese… OR just generally freaking out because the next day – so, four weeks tomorrow – I am going half-way (more than half-way?) around the world to Japan. All. By. Myself. In fact, I’ve just started realising the enormity of this trip and general life event. It’s a big deal for me, alright. I’ve never been on holiday by myself nor on a flight longer than about three hours and I’m a fairly reserved person… Not anymore. Eep!

There are so many things I’m looking forward to seeing and doing. Not to mention foods I want to taste. I am even considering disregarding the last 13 years of not eating meat (I have been eating fish for a couple of years already, so I’ll definitely be a pescetarian in Japan) and fully embracing the cuisine. But only if it looks really good…

These look really good. But perhaps so good I wouldn’t want to eat them.

Photos below from this Tofugu article – by Mari Miyazawa. I can’t view the videos. :(

“Bento (弁当 bentō) is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento holds rice, fish or meat, with pickled or cooked vegetables, usually in a box-shaped container. Bento can be elaborately arranged in a style ‘kyaraben’ (character bento). Kyaraben are typically decorated to look like popular characters from Japanese cartoons (anime), comic books (manga), or video games. Another popular bento style is ‘oekakiben’ or ‘picture bento’. This is decorated to look like people, animals, buildings and monuments, or items such as flowers and plants.” – wikipedia

A more recent Tofugu post with a different kind of Bento art  – by Hige-Man Ume-Chan.
And some iconic characters [I like] created in bento-style…
Shamefully, I just grabbed those from Google. Apologies to the original creators.

1 comment:

  1. Those pandas are the cutest! I've some posts on Tokyo if you're interested :)
    http://www.amyfrank.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete