Pages

Sunday, 16 March 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel

I was recommended, the film, The Grand Budapest Hotel by a few different people – all of whom I trust to have good taste. I hadn’t seen the trailer and I didn’t know anything about the film. I’m ashamed to say I hadn’t seen any Wes Anderson films prior to this one – actually that’s a lie, I have seen Fantastic Mr. Fox which I liked – but if the others are anything like The Grand Budapest Hotel then I don’t doubt that I’d love them too. Anyway, it’s no secret that I am terrible with films – I haven’t seen Mary Poppins.

So anyway, I watched the trailer on Tuesday night – was intrigued – and went to see the film on [orange] Wednesday.


I really, really liked the film. It was fun and quirky and I like how it was filmed… although I couldn’t tell you what I mean by that because I don’t know a thing about film making technicalities. I also felt the way it was put together appealed to me as a graphic designer. Although I couldn’t quite put into words why… Aside from the amazing lettering used for the ‘Part One’, ‘Part Two’ etc. interlude images. (I can’t find images of these or I would be sharing them all.)

It wasn’t until the next day when I read this article on the Creative Review Blog about the graphic design used in the film that I realised just how much that beautiful underlying design had an impact on my opinion of the film. Afterall, I am a graphic designer and that is first and foremost how I view the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment