Pages

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

The Menzingers & WTFest 6

On Thursday, last week, I left work and headed off to London to meet my boyfriend, Steve, and go to a gig. This is something we do a lot – ‘school night’ or not – but for once we actually had the day off afterwards! Though not simply to sleep in…

The gig was The Menzingers, pretty much my favourite band (not to mention the reason me and Steve met last year), at the Electric Ballroom in Camden and it was damn good. Electric Ballroom is not so small, 1000+ capacity, yet I wandered on over to the barrier at the front and decided that that was where we would stay all night. And stay we did. Throughout the excellent supports, The Holy Mess and The Smith Street Band – big fan of the latter already – and throughout The Menzingers too without getting pulled into any mosh pits.

Snapping a few Instagram-worthy photos:

The Smith Street Band
The Menzingers

I often leave a gig thinking ‘damn, I wish I could do that all over again’. Well, this time we did! The next day, we drove to Southampton for a little three-day (it was actually four, but the first day was Thursday!) punk rock festival called WTFest. I’d seen the poster a couple of months before and was very impressed by the line up – we don’t really get punk festivals in the UK, certainly not like The Fest in Florida! So, I persuaded Steve that we should go (not that it took much, he loves much of the same bands I do).


On Friday evening we saw: Milk Teeth, Bleach Blood, Creeper, Great Cynics, Moose Blood and Apologies, I Have None.

Great Cynics (The highlight. Apologies, I Have None were good too but no photo.)

On Saturday afternoon we saw: Doe, Pale Angels, Bangers and Harker.

Bangers (My favourite band from Cornwall, especially since Crowns broke up.)

On Saturday evening we saw: Dear Everyone, Muncie Girls, Onsind, Caves and Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Muncie Girls (Already a fan. Not a bad performance at all.)
Onsind (Definitely the surprise of the day. Excellent acoustic duo.)
Caves (Bloody awesome. Second time I’ve seen them and can’t wait to do so again.)
Andrew Jackson Jihad (Viewed from the back. Wasn’t a massive fan but pretty good live.)

And on Sunday afternoon, we took some time to explore Southampton (I’ve been a couple of times but not seen much), and then repeated Thursday night with The Holy Mess, The Smith Street Band and The Menzingers but in a much tinier venue. I claimed the same spot – left side of the stage, in front of guitarist/vocalist Greg – as in London but could literally touch the stage in Southampton.

The Holy Mess (Having barely listened prior to seeing them twice in a few days, now a fan.)
The Smith Street Band (It could have been their own show. Everyone loved them, us included.)
And the main event… The Menzingers (I didn’t think it was possible to beat London. They did.)
Steve asked Menzo’s tour manager, Scott, for one of the set lists for me at the end.

I’ve never had a set list from a show before and this is the first time that I have ever seen a band more than once on a single tour. The Menzingers deserve to be that band for me. Now. Sleep…

No comments:

Post a Comment