Pages

Saturday, 7 February 2015

[Hypothetical] Ghibli Land

I saw this in a tweet by Tofugu late on Thursday evening (I’d just finished my book, after reading for around 3 hours prior) so could be forgiven for thinking that I’d dreamed up Ghibli land. Except I hadn’t… someone else had!


This hypothetical Tokyo Ghibli Land illustration is the masterful work of Japanese illustrator Takumi. The thought and effort that has gone into making the perfect Studio Ghibli theme park is beyond impressive. I’ve been to the Studio Ghibli museum in Tokyo, Japan, which is probably about the closest real-life thing to a Ghibli theme park but it’s certainly no where near as impressive as a full-scale Ghibli Land would be – and I don’t even like theme parks!


The structure of the park is based on the circular shape of the original Disney Land: a circular park divided up into many ‘worlds’ along the side and an iconic castle in the middle. However in Takumi’s version Cinderella’s Castle has been replaced by Howl’s Moving Castle. Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Adventureland have also been seamlessly replaced by attractions modeled after Totoro, Laputa and Naussica. And of course encircling the entire park is a Cat Bus monorail. – Spoon & Tamago

1 comment: