Pages

Sunday, 3 May 2015

Fitness

I have been a member of the gym in Bedford almost as long as I’ve lived here – since last July. But when I say ‘gym’, I mean that for the last year I have used the swimming pool regularly (2–3 times a week) and been to yoga and pilates classes (1 or 2 yoga classes a week and pilates on a Sunday morning, when I can). At least, that was the case up until a few weeks ago…

I’ve now used the actual gym facilities about 4 or 5 times. I had never properly been to a gym in my life so this is all very new for me and, so far, I’ve only tried out the the bike and cross trainer. I was pretty pleased that I managed to do 8km/20mins for my first time on the bike – not at a particularly difficult level, mind you, but hey.

I use a couple of fitness apps on my iPhone to track my exercise sessions. I find that it keeps me motivated to exercise regularly and to either remain consistent in each ‘session’ I do or to exceed my averages. Plus, it’s good to be able to look at a whole week, month or longer period of time and see how I’ve improved.

I blogged about Splash Path/Speedo Fit, in a fair amount of detail, last summer but since then they’ve had quite a major re-design. In fact, I think it happened not long after I wrote that blog post! Also, I treated myself to a new iPhone yesterday – I upgraded from a 4S to a 5S – so now I have a larger screen with which to use the app.

My longest swim of 1,798m was last Thursday!

I’ve been using the Speedo Fit app for well over a year now and so my overall distance (144,250m) sounds quite impressive, I think! So now that I’ve started to expand my weekly exercise beyond swimming, I have also started using another exercise app: Fitlist.

To be honest, I’m not sure I’m using it properly at all but I just wanted to be able to have something calendar-based to record distances and times for each of my sessions in the gym. I haven’t been using the app for very long but it’s great to see that I’ve exercised far more days than not. Yoga and pilates classes go down in this app, as well as swims and gym sessions!


A lot of the figures generated by that app, calories for example, won’t be very accurate as I have no idea how many calories I burn in a pilates class! The bike, cross trainer and no doubt other gym equipment will tell me how many calories I’ve burnt though.

Now that I have an iPhone 5S, I should be able to make proper use of the iOS8 Health app and the built-in pedometer. Again, I have no idea how the Health app fully works but apparently it takes its data from other third-party health and fitness apps – Speedo Fit and Fitlist, for example. But as I only got the phone yesterday, I have yet to experience these feature properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment