Pages

Saturday, 8 August 2015

12 x FT

I was super lucky to attend the release day party of Frank Turner’s sixth album, Positive Songs for Negative People, last night at the Garage in Highbury, London. It was definitely one of the best Frank Turner shows I’ve been to, which is no mean feat – I’ve been to 12 of his gigs over the past five years!

Those 12 gigs have really ranged in size and location – one was even in another country! This has got me thinking that it would be interesting to gather together a photo from each show and share them all together. I, of course, take photos at every gig I go to – I even used to use an actual camera, before the iPhone/Instagram…

24/03/10 @ Camden Roundhouse, London
The first and probably one of the closest I’ve been. Will always be special to me.

16/07/10 @ 2000 Trees Festival, Upcote Farm, Cheltenham
Frank’s first festival headline. My first festival. Our favourite festival.
BONUS PHOTO!

12/12/10 @ Brixton Academy, London
Venue size increasing rapidly. Dad was my gig buddy for this one – his first (of six) FT gig(s).

04/04/11 @ White Trash Fast Food, Berlin (Germany!)
Conveniently he was playing in Berlin when I was there. This was a solo show.

25/08/11 @ Roadmender, Northampton
A Reading warm-up show. Too close to home to even consider missing.

27/11/11 @ Hammersmith Apollo, London
Travelled up from Cornwall for this one. Only time I’ve ever been seated for a FT show too.

13/04/12 @ Wembley Arena, London
A real special show – both for me and Frank!

01/07/12 @ Eden Sessions, Eden Project, St Austell
Frank Turner? In Cornwall? A few days before I left Falmouth for good? Sure thing!

26/11/12 @ O2 Academy, Oxford
I won guest list spots for the venue of my choice. This was a tour without a London date.

[2013 was unintentionally a Frank-free year]

12/02/14 @ O2 Arena, London
Massive, but massively awesome.

17/12/14 @ XFM Winter Wonderland, Brixton Academy, London
Frank and the boys were awesome as always but wouldn’t go to an XFM thing again.

07/08/14 @ The Garage, London
Last night. Closer to the stage standing at the back of the venue than several of the above!

Clearly almost all of these are pretty bad from a photographic point of view… but it’s interesting to see how Frank – and the band (note how they don’t become known as The Sleeping Souls for a while) – have evolved. And the logo/stage backdrop too!

It actually feels like I’ve seen Frank more times than this: he’s made guest appearances when I’ve been watching Beans on Toast and Billy Bragg, plus another Billy – Billy the Kid – on multiple occasions. Not to mention the times I’ve stood next to or near him at other artist’s shows!

I’ve got at least one more gig lined up in November but I don’t doubt that I will continue to go to even more Frank Turner shows after that. He’s just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment