Pages

Sunday, 9 August 2015

The 70th Hiroshima-Nagasaki Day

On the 6th of August 1945, the USA dropped an atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. Three days later, on the 9th of August (exactly 70 years ago today), a second bomb was dropped on Nagasaki. The two bombs killed almost 130,000 people, not to mention the thousands that were left injured or without their loved ones and homes. Unsurprisingly, a few days after the second bombing Japan surrendered and effectively ended World War II.

Every year the peace pagoda at Milton Keynes holds a commemorative ceremony to reflect on the horrors of war and invites people, from all nationalities and cultures, to ‘pray’ together for peace and harmony. There are chants, music and speeches from a variety of people, from variety of organisations and religions – not just Buddhists, after all peace is for everyone!

This year, for the 70th anniversary, I went along to be a part of the event and take some photographs. I dusted of my actual camera for the occasion – the camera I took to Japan but don’t really use for anything else… because, iPhone. Unfortunately, because my camera is really just a glorified point ’n’ click rather than a proper SLR, I didn’t take particularly good photos. Well, that and I’m no photographer!


No comments:

Post a Comment